Sunday, May 1, 2011

Visit to the Shad Fest

On Saturday April 30th Chetan, Aai and I attended the Shad Festival in a nearby town of Lambertville, NJ. The town is so beautiful and one feels as if the time has come to a standstill. There are old victorian homes and stores. The houses are like gingerbread houses and the Railway Station carries old european charm.

The shad festival is held for two days in the spring season  and shad is the name of a fish (like bhinga).

 Shad's name is just use to attract more crowd as people love this fish, especially its roe or gabholi.

During this period we get the fish roe or gabholi in the market. So I decided to go to this fest and eat it. They were preparing the roe on the corner of the street. The taste was so good. The roe was fried in the butter and lot of lemon juice on it. On the other side of the pan they sauted some capers and bacon. The combination was like out of this world. Aai and I loved it. Chetan did not as he never eaten the roe before. Later we had the crab cake sandwich.

Besides the food, there was so many antiques pieces on sale and the pet animals were also avaible for adoption. I wanted to have a dog, but Chetan refused.

It was a funfilled day. We missed Raj as he was away in Saint Louis, Missouri. He is coming home today.

1 comment:

  1. After reading about gabholi and bhinga i was nostalgic, very mouth watering . I have not eaten these for years. I think i have to visit your place to eat all these delicacies

    ReplyDelete